Saturday, January 10, 2009

Is This Really 2009?



Sometimes it's hard to believe we are really living in 2009! Every now and again, stuff happens around the world, or even in the US, that makes me believe we are still in the Middle Ages.

The one picture, I'm sure most of you have already seen, is the hanging of two boys, yes boys, for being gay. This took place in Iraq, and is one of the punishments meated out to gays there. This despite the Iranian President declaring several months ago that there are no gays in Iran.

Just the other day I read about a woman in Papua, New Guinea who was burned for being a witch.
And just yesterday, right here in the good old US of A, Congress passed two bills, one which would help women get equal pay for equal work.
Is it really 2009?




2 comments:

Pax Romano said...

You see what I mean when I say that religion is the biggest problem in the world?

Iraqi law is based on Islamic tenants and as for burning witches, well let's just say the Catholic church had a huge part in all of that in the past, though in New Guinea it's all based in superstition (which is what religion is after all).

As for equal pay for women ... I don't know what to say about that.

Merci said...

Humanity really doesn't change much in the long run, does it? I have been horrified to watch our nation's regression to a darker time over the last 8 years. I hope a renaissance is coming soon.