Sunday, July 23, 2006

I'll Never Understand The Middle East

I have to admit it: I will never understand the Middle East. And maybe it's because I really don't try hard enough. Everytime I do attempt to figure it all out, things just too complicated and the history goes back way too far for me. I sound like a typical hick when I say, "All they know is how to fight each other. It's just how it's always been." But guess what? Ever since the beginning of time there has been war in the Middle East. One group denies the right of another group to exist. Every country in the Middle East thinks the other country is in their rightful territory. And on, and on, and on. Sadly, alot of this mess comes from religion.

Each Middle Eastern country and each Middle Eastern faith thinks they have the truth. Each party feels their God, or should I say, their perception of their God, is right. Christians in the US feel the same way, but at least they're not willing to die for their belief. To each of the parties in the Middle East, their land, and much more of it, was given to them by God. And each country does what ever it can to get back what is rightfully theirs. And as we all know, some of those believers also think dying for the cause will bring them eternity and rewards in Paradise. Strange thing is not all those countries in the Middle East can be right. But which ones are?

So when I try to figure out the current troubles between Israel and Hezbollah (Lebanon), it is hard to figure out who is right and who is wrong. Hezbollah, the military party in Lebanon, was democratically elected to a majority in Lebanon by the people. Good, right? Well, not for Israel since Hezbollah wants Israel destroyed and does not recognize Israel's right to exist. So Israel, in their opinion, was provoked and threatened has begun this conflict, or war as some might call it. But is Israel going too far? As I heard one critic say, instead of using a scaple to cut out this cancer (Hezbollah), Israel is using a chain saw.

When my mind tries to comprehend this mess and all the other messes that have happened in the Middle East over the years, I usually just stop and go back to my quiet little world. Just like when I get enough of the Middle East crisis on CNN, I turn on the Three Stooges. At least that's something I can understand....but why can't Moe just let the others have their own space. I don't understand!

No comments: