Friday, April 28, 2006

What's Wrong With Me? I Have To Agree With Bush...

I must admit it, for the first time, I agree with George W. I agree with Bush that the US National Anthem should be sung in English, not Spanish! "One of the important things here is that we not lose our national soul," Bush said as he declared that the US National Anthem should be sung in english. Bush also stated, "...I think people who want to be a citizen of this country ought to learn English and they ought to learn to sing the national anthem in English."

I believe all US citizens should maitain their heritage and language, but I do agree that immigrants to this country should be prepared to learn english. I think it's a shame when immigrants are ashamed of who they. I believe it is wrong for immigrants to the US to allow their heritage and culture to die by not passing that along to their children. Immigrants, no matter what country they come from, should be proud of who they are and what their culture is all about. But, if I were to decide to go live in another country, I would certainly assume that I would have to learn to speak the language of that country. And I believe the same should be said for those who chose to come to the US to live, which, by the way, was probably most of our ancestors.

It is the duty of the US to encourage cultural diversity and to be patient and understanding of those who may not speak english with 100% proficiency. But it is also the duty of immigrants to learn the language of the country, and in this case, that would be english.

No comments: