Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Tribute To My Mother

My Mother left this world in 1985, just 3 days past her 47th birthday. She left behind a husband, five children, two of whom were less than 12 years of age, and a handful of grandchildren.
Barbara A. Frank exemplified the word Mother. Everything she did in her adult life was for her family. I can remember her sitting out in the freezing cold watching me play Midget League Football. She took me to any and all youth activities. She did the same for my sisters and brothers, never once complaining about the role she played. Even when she was about to leave this world, I remember her only concern was for my Father and his kids. My Mother never once put herself first.
My Mother wasn't an educated woman. She made it through highschool, but that was about it. She was a stay-at-home wife and mother, but every now and again, when finances made it necessary, my Mother would get a small parttime job and help. Despite those times when she was employed, her family still came first.
My Mother never lived long enough to see many of the grandkids and great-grandkids that over the years were added to our family. She never lived to see some graduations or marriages. At every family birthday party I attend, the thought always runs through my mind how much my Mother would have loved to see her kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids celebrate their lives. She loved children and my Mother would have been in her glory to see her family grow.
But it wasn't meant to be! Unfair? Damn right! Life isn't fair! That's the way it is! On this Mother's Day, I give my Mother all the tribute she deserves!

4 comments:

Merci said...

Lovely tribute, Karl. I lost my Dad in 1985. I still feel the loss. There's a part of me that came from him that nobody else understands quite as well.

mommanator said...

wow that was nice, I bet she knows!

Zelda Parker said...

I think your Mom sees what beautiful children and grandchildren she has......
Yes, I too miss my father who died ten years ago.

Joe Tornatore said...

nice tribute, Karl.