Saturday, May 02, 2009

What Would Jesus Do? He'd Torture?

A recent CNN survey showed that the more often Americans go to church, the more likely they are to support the torture of suspected terrorists. The survey, conducted during April 14-21, 2009, was based on a Pew Research Center survey of 742 American adults. (The survey, by the way, is not without controversy. Many evangelicals say it is not correct, but I don't believe that for a minute).
Surprised? I'm not the least bit! I used to attend evangelical, mostly conservative churches! One of the things that I always questioned was why most of the fellow congregates, including one pastor I knew, were so supportive of the first Gulf War and the Second Gulf War. So accepting torture is nothing I wouldn't expect. Remember the Inquisition? Remember The Crusades? Look back throughout history and look at the pain and suffering, along with some good I will add, the Church brought on people. Someone summed it up best saying, "When you have God on your side, anything is ok."
As I have matured in life, I have often wondered why it is so-called Christians who are the most Un-Christian-like people around? I'm sure surveys have been conducted amongst Christians that show the majority support capital punishment as well as war and torture.
I'm certain Jesus supported none of the above, torture, war, or capital punishment! So if Christians are supposed to be Christ-like and follow His example, why don't they? If Jesus were walking the earth today, I don't think he would be a member of his Fan Club!

1 comment:

mommanator said...

humm very interesting. I sure hope I am not one of the Christians you write about!