Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Did They Die In Vain?

Let me start by saying I respect and admire every service man and woman who dedicates his/her life to serving and protecting our country. I admire their sacrifices made as US soldiers head the call to duty when the US asks them to. But I ask, as the US death toll in Iraq reaches 2,300, did they die in vain? I will say what I believe alot are feeling, but maybe afraid to say: I cannot help but think the US soldiers fighting in Iraq have given their lives in vain.
I hear many say thanks to the US soldiers in Iraq who are fighting for our freedom. But I feel in my heart that my freedom would be the same with or without Saddam Hussein in power in Iraq. The US first went to war with Iraq because of the WMD's that were going to be used to destroy the US. The WMD's were never found! Then, the reason the US went to war in Iraq was revenge for 9-11. Saddam Hussein and Iraq had nothing to do with 9-11. Then, the US went to war in Iraq to establish democracy in the Middle East. That has not yet been accomplished, and more and more, it looks like it will not be. So, I ask then, why did US men and women die in Iraq? If the answer was to topple a heinous dictator and free the Iraqi people, I ask the question I have asked many times, was that the job of the US?
I cannot help feel our troops have died in vain! Their lives wasted because of Bush & Company! I am sorry for the families that have lost loved ones, and I wish them comfort, but I am sure many of them ask the same question day in and day out that I have just asked. And if they find the needed comfort in thinking their loved ones did not die in vain, then I accept that.

No comments: