Saturday, August 05, 2006

Come On, Congressman LoBiondo!

I recently wrote an e-mail to Congressman Frank LoBiondo urging him to not support the Marriage Protection Amendment that thankfully was defeated in Congress a few weeks ago. The amendment was the House of Representative's version of the Senate's Federal Marriage Amendment, which was also defeated. LoBiondo supported this amendment by voting in favor of such an amendment to the Constitution. I received a response from Congressman LoBiondo thanking me for my concern and explaining to me what the Marriage Protection Amendment was, and that it was defeated. I already was aware of both these points. So, I wrote back to Congressman LoBiondo, and below is my letter to the Congressman:

Dear Congressman LoBiondo,

Thank you for your response to my e-mail regarding H.J. Res. 88, the Marriage Protection Amendment.

As I am very much aware, H.J. Res. 88 was an amendment to the Constitution to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. I also know that the resolution did not garner the required two-thirds majority of the House. These two points I completely understand.

My question to you was why did you support such a resolution? Do you honestly believe that discrimination should be a part of the Constitution, or are you too playing Republican politics by being used as a pawn of the extremely right-winged majority and the President of the U.S.?

Gay individuals in this country are not second class citizens and should have the same rights as any other citizen in the U.S. Marriage should be included as one of these rights.

I certainly hope in the future you will vote keeping the wishes of your constituents in mind, not just the outdated desires of the current Republican Party.


Frank LoBiondo, in my humble opinion, is another Republican that needs to go! He does nothing but vote whatever way the Republican Party says he should. His time has run out, and I will do my best to see to it that he is defeated when his term ends (in 2008 I believe).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christ, when they will stop demonizing us gay folk...oh that's right, got to make a smoke screen so people will not worry about the Middle East...got it.

Gay=BAD

Mid East/Iraq War/ North Korea/ Economy: A-OK