Monday, August 14, 2006

Phone Call From Congressman LoBiondo's Office

My phone rang this afternoon and I noticed immediately a "202" area code. When I answered, the caller told me he was calling from Congressman Frank LoBiondo's office. The member of LoBiondo's staff was responding to my letter that I recently sent to LoBiondo asking him why he supported discrimination by voting in favor of H.J. Res. 88, the Marriage Protection Amendment, the House of Representatives' version of the Senate's Federal Marriage Amendment, permitting marriage only between a man and a woman. (See my earlier post for the specifics). LoBiondo's staff person stated that the Congressman voted his conscience and believes that marriage should be between a man and a woman. The staffer said that the amendment would have allowed "civil unions" to be decided on a state by state basis, and that NJ has "civil unions." I informed the staffer that NJ does not have civil unions but some benefits for gay couples living together. I further explained to the LoBiondo staffer that my position is that "civil unions" are less than equal to "marriage" and that any two people should be able to "marry" and enjoy those benefits if he/she so desires. The staffer explained that Congressman LoBiondo does not agree with that position, and I again stated my position. I did thank the staffer for contacting me.

I am appriciative of the call. I have never received a phone call from any legislator despite many letters I have written. (I have received letters in response to my concerns/questions). Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, and Congressman LoBiondo is no different. But I too, and those like me, are entitled to our opinion as well. It is time we stand and defeat such hatred, bigotry, and discrimination!

LOBIONDO MUST GO IN 2006!

No comments: