Saturday, August 13, 2005

America Belongs To Every Citizen

I spend alot of time criticizing the "religious right" for believing that everyone in the US has to believe and abide by their rules. It is not that I do not believe in God, nor is it that I dislike religious organizations and members of such organizations. You see, I used to be one of them. I too used to believe that this country was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs and that the US has strayed so far from these beliefs and dependence on God that soon God would just turn his back on the US and allow it to be destroyed. I understand where the "religious right" come from, but I far from agree with them anymore.
This great country was not founded upon religion, but rather founded on the belief that a person can worship however or whomever they wish to worship. Or, a person can choose not to worship any higher being. We all have the God given right to live as we choose in the US. And, regardless of one's choice, he/she is entitled to the same rights as the one who chooses to depend upon God. This country was not founded on a religion, but the freedom from religion.
In the next to last episode of Queer As Folk, Ben, the husband of Michael, said something to this effect: "America belongs to everyone. And some have forgotten that." How true that is. Every citizen deserves the same rights as anyone else. It is only when one's behavior puts someone else in jeopardy that the belief or behavior must be stopped. Gays who want to marry deserve that right. It is a right guaranteed in the Constitution of the United States. You don't have to like it, but you have to accept it. You may not agree with it, but unfortunately for you, you have to put up with it because it is the right of every citizen in the US. That right is the "pursuit of happiness."
Believe me, I from time to time have a hard time accepting some of the behavior, beliefs, and attitudes of others. But that is their right. I don't always understand why someone acts as he does, but, unless it is infringing upon my safety, it really doesn't matter what I think.
The US is made up of all kinds of people. And everyone of them is entitled to the same guaranteed rights and freedoms. Why is that so hard to accept? Why do people spend so much

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I come from the same religious tradition that you described. I was always a little uneasy with so many rules coming from groups who preached that salvation was through faith, not works.

I describe myself now as a liberal Christian. Much of the mainstream church would question my right to use the term Christian, denying that it may be used in conjunction with the word liberal. Again, with all of the talk about "Judge not," I am amazed at how many people are willing to announce that others are condemned for a particular belief or practice.

Many Christians forget that Jesus avoided politics. He came to establish a spiritual kingdom, not to take over earthly governments. He did not try to change laws or influence kings; he tried to change the hearts of men. He rejected the temptation of an earthly kingdom, and he walked away from leading a rebellion.

Conservative Christians have the right to practice as they please. They should not expect their practices to become the law of the land. Our laws are for everyone, and our freedoms must be protected.