Wednesday, June 22, 2005

BIOTECH Protestors in Philly

I must admit that I didn't pay alot of attention to the BIOTECH Convention protestors in Philadelphia on Tuesday. I am very sorry that a Philadelphia police officer died during the protests. However, I couldn't help but read on NBC10.com about 4 protestors being arrested and charged in relation to the officer's death. From what I read, none of the protestors is being charged with any murder charge, such a manslaughter. But I couldn't help but notice that the skirmish that resulted in the officer having a heart attack, was a due to water being thrown on the police officer. Is there any possibility that the police at the protest were just a little "hyped up," just waiting for something to happen? I just don't understand how some water being thrown on an officer would result in a skirmish that would end with an officer dead. It will be interesting to see what further investigation discovers. In an earlier interview on television, Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson said that the officer died of a heart attack which could have happened anywhere.

2 comments:

Pax Romano said...

I just knew this would happen (no not the heart attack); it's a shame that the officer died, but I can not see how those kids can be held responsible for his death.

Karl said...

Me either, PAX. As Philly Police Commissioner Johnson said, it was a heart attack that could have happened anytime, anywhere. A sad event.......for both sides.